Friday, April 28, 2017

Historical Sew Monthly #4 Circles, Squares, & Rectangles: 1860s Hairnet

Once you get your dress done you work on accessories. Well my dress isn't done but I need to do my HSM for the month. A hairnet is really simple all you need is twill tape, ribbon, a hairnet, wire and thread to match your ribbon. I found some beautiful navy blue ribbon at Jo Anns. Twill Tape is left over from my corset and the wire is from previous projects last year. I got my hairnet from Sally Beauty Supplies.

I'm sorry I can't add pictures but my phone won't turn on. But as soon as I do I will make a post saying that I have updated this post. So you can all see my pretty hairnet.

I took the edge of the hairnet and sewed it to the bottom egde of the twill tape with a whipstich.

I stitched the Ribbon to the center of the twill tape.

I then whipstiched the two long edges of the twill tape together.

I then inserted the wire in it.



What it is: 1860s Hairnet

The Challenge: Circles, Squares, & Rectangles

Material: Cotton Twill Tape

Pattern: None, making it as I went

Year: 1860s

Notions: Ribbon, Thread, Wire, Hairnet

How historically accurate: Mostly. Thread wasn't correct fiber, Hairnet was also not the correct fiber, and Ribbon wasn't the correct fiber, either. Whipstitch was a correct stich to do.

Hours to complete: 1 hour and 30 minutes

First Worn: Haven't yet, when I finish my dress

Total Cost: Everything was from the stash, except for the hairnet, the hairnet cost $1.30.

No comments:

Post a Comment