Saturday, July 29, 2017

Historical Sew Monthly #3 The Great Outdoors: Quilted Sunbonnet

I based this bonnet after Romantic History Victorian Sunbonnet TutorialPart 1Part 2Part 3, and Part 4. I think this was supposed to be a 5 part Tutorial as she did say she was going to do a post a adding the ties. And because of being new to historical sewing I used The Sewing Academy free Corded Sunbonnet Pattern to add the ties. At first I was only going to make one out of a Pinky Peach Plaid Cotton Lawn from fashionfabrics.com, but I was in Jo Anns and found a beautiful lightweight semi-sheer Plaid.
Fabric from Jo Anns
Brim fabric

Crown Fabric

Shaping the Crown

Shaping the Curtain

Cutting the Cotton batting

I was going to use 2 layers, but decided against it as this was for the summer

Rows of Quilting

The only thing I didn't do was gather the back.

I sewed on the curtain
I then decided I was going to do a drawstring to gather the back. But I got tired of Sewing the a piece of fabric on to the bonnet




What it is: Victorian Sunbonnet- Quilted

Material: A cotton Orange and Brown Plaid from Jo Anns

Pattern: Romantic History Victorian Sunbonnet Tutorial Parts 1-4 and for the ties The Sewing Academy Free Simple Slat bonnet pattern.

Year: Later war years

Notions: Thread, Teal Blue Ribbon, String

Hours to complete: Don't remember

First Worn: 

Total Cost: For the Pink Plaid one $6.68 for 1.5 yards of fabric. I know I didn't need quite so much, but it was extra. I also got 1.5 yards of plaid from Jo Anns which cost $8.99

No comments:

Post a Comment