deleted the plans post from January and finished up my civil war wash dress from feburary
Wednesday, March 13, 2019
Wednesday, May 30, 2018
Hello, i hope you are having a great memorial day. In the next couple of weeks I have several things I need to finish. I also have tests.
These would be the main events I have to prepare for:
- Independence Day (July 4th)
- Gettysburg 155th (July 5th-8th)
- A reenactment at my historical museum I volunteer for that my reenactment goes to (July 21-22)
- Marilla (28th-29th)
For 1-4 I would need to:
- finish my 2nd chemise (week 1: 5/28-6/3)
- another pair of drawers (week 1: 5/28-6/3)
- fix hoop rung (week 2: 6/4-6/10
- apron (week 2: 6/4-6/10)
- corset (week 3: 6/11-6/17)
- petticoat (week 3: 6/11-6/17)
- starch everything that needs it (week 3: 6/11-6/17)
- finish wash dress (week 4: 6/18-6/24)
But I would also like to:
- "Nice" Dress- Infant Bodice, Bateau neckline, short sleeves, lace along neckline and sleeve cuff, tucks in skirt, pearl buttons, back closing (week 4: 6/18-6/24)
- A Straw hat to go with the "Nice" Dress (week 4: 6/18-6/24)
- A white Pinner's apron (week 5: 6/25-7/1)
- Some type of white head covering (week 5: 6/25-7/1)
- A dress is a brown plaid- jewel neckline, front dog leg opening, white/black/self covered buttons, long sleeves that I can push up (for a battlefield nurse) (week 5: 6/25-7/1)
- A double set of cuffs and a collar (week 5: 6/25-7/1)
at May 30, 2018
Sunday, March 18, 2018
I meant to post this close to the 14th of February, but I didn't feel like blogging, as this dress wore me out. But, I am on another sewing kick, hopefully it will last for the next 4 weeks so I can get stuff done. I can't sew this weekend. The weekend before I made this dress I got this pale pink sweater.
|Excuse my bedroom, I was cleaning.|
Wednesday, February 7, 2018
|I actually would like to make another dress like this.|
If JoAnns still has the fabric I saw for it on sale, I might by some.
|Simplicity 4721 View C|
|Simplicity 3902 view C|
|Simplicity 4669 View C & D|
|Simplicity 4721 view A|
But this weekend I plan to make 2 dresses and 2 aprons. The aprons shouldn't take me very long probably an hour each, the dresses on the other hand will take me longer, probably 2 hours for the first dress, and 1.5 hours for the second.
Sunday, February 4, 2018
|New books that I am really excitd to memorize where everthing is :) :) :)|
Back ont he 11th I got my new books, Cosume in Detail and the American Duchess Guide.
In my previous post I said I needed to redo/fix several things several things. most of this is my civil war items. There are some things that I wll not be fixing like my crinoline for this project. I do want to redo it. I just want to do a lower class impression.
- Hairnet- I think I need to redo it completley, as I have a huge hole in the net.
- Petticoat- When I originally created the garment I made the opening so you can get the skirt on to big. So all I need to do is make the gap about 4-6 inches
- Early 1860s wash Dress- There is to much room in the back of the bodice. I need to make the top 4 inches smaller and the bottom 1/2 inch smaller. Also it might look better it the bodice was at least 1/2 inch shorter.
- Sunbonnet- add a few tapes inside to gather the back part.
- I would like a new corset but for now my old one is fine, as long as I close all the boning channel gaps.
I was able to get a majority of the stuff done in about 2 hours, deconstructing the hairnet, emboidering the petticoat, closing the gap in the 2 skirts, and fixing the pockets each took about 10-30 minutes. I did the majority of this on a Saturday. Then Saturday evening I ripped out seams for 3 1/2 hours.I never want to rip out hundreds of tiny stiches in an easy fraying and low thread count fabric ever again.
I first took out the piece of metal out and took out all the stitches that held the ribbon to the twill tape. I then cut of the net to pretty colse to the twill tape as I wont be able to use it. I then took all of the rest of the stiches out of twill tape and the hairnet. Leaving me with just the ribbon, twill tape and metal piece.
Very simple I took the gap in so now it is about 6 inches instead of 15 inches. I also, emboidered my intials on the hem at the back.
See how the bodice looks very saggy and large?
It is also a bit long
I removed all of the hooks and eyes. I made the skirtgap to be 5 inches long. I then removed pockets and handsewn them back in.
Then I removed the dress (skirt & bodice) from the waistband (which took me about 2 1/2 hours to do) and removed the neckband from the bodice (took me about 1 hour). I am never going to usee such tiny stitches again on sewing manchine. I then made darts in the back on both sides and sewed them in place.
|Inside at the neckband|
|Outside at neckband|
I only need to sew both waist bands on and the hook and eyes and that should be up soon.
|Casing that I completley handsewn on :)|
|Ribbon ties on the back|
I finshed sewing the tape in to hid some of the "guts". I also put on some ribbon ties on the back to draw the top portion in. This is going to be a fancy sunbonnet to go with my nicer dresses. That I have planned.
I simply just handsewed all my gaps closed.
Wednesday, January 10, 2018
I am getting so old and time has been flying right by. There is definetly not enough time in a day for all I need and want to do. For school we have been doing 2 research papers about different careers just in case what ever career we are going for doesn't work out. My first one is about Historians and my second one is about Chemical Operations Sergeant with the United States Miitary.
But, Let's move on to what i have done this year. I started the year off with getting
For 2018 I want do (Quarters 2, 3, and 4 will come out in March, June, & September). I feel like Quarters are a much better way to plan projects as it deals with a much smaller time period and is fresher in my memory.
Things over the year I want to get done this year
- Some type of period correct bag to pack my stuff in for events
- Quilted petticoat
- Some Dresses
Quarter 1 (January, Feburary, March)
- Mend Hairnet
- Mend Petticoat
- Mend Dress
- Quilted Petticoat
- Plain petticoat
- Several more pairs of Drawers and Chemises, and stockings
|Beautiful slippers made by Romantic History|
- Traveling Bag
- Dress- I would like to make my own bodice pattern, so this might be moved to April
Thank you for reading and sorry for the lack of pictures.
Thursday, August 31, 2017
Hi, everybody school is starting for me in a week. (nooooooo!), I don't like the school I'm going to. I'm only going there because they are offering some french courses from Middlebury, Vermont and this school has the best Cross Country team.
I have gotten plenty of patterns from the McCall Pattern Company Website, they have frequent sales. McCalls also own Butterick, Kwik Sew, and Vogue patterns. There a few patterns I still want to get, but, I also want to get the Violet Shirt and the Penny dress from Colette Patterns. Right now I'm going through a break with sewing
I have been reading The Ring & The Crown by Melissa De La Cruz, it is pretty good and Feed by M.T Anderson, Part 1 is awful, but i have to read it for school, I plan on reading for 30 minutes, everynight before bed, I will read Feed first, so it will be done by school starts, it took one hour to read part 1, so I plan to have the rest read in 3 hrs, so I will finish the book on the 5th.
I also got a book a few weeks ago called The Fortune Hunter by Daisy Goodwin.